Marc was born and raised in central Wisconsin in the Rockwellian town of Wild Rose. He has three brothers and much to his mother’s chagrin, no sisters. She wanted the Von Trapp Family, but what she got was closer to a cheesy barbershop quartet with excessive body odor. Nevertheless Marc’s parents were abundantly supportive of his and his brothers’ endeavors, creative or otherwise.
Marc began working as a professional artist while studying illustration at the University of Wisconsin-Stout—first as a caricature artist at a local amusement park and eventually as a freelance illustrator for a variety of clients and publications. While the caricature and illustration work were a far cry from the fine art world, they proved an invaluable jumping off point for Marc’s career as an artist. The drawing skills and quick decision making required in those fields would become foundational as he waded into fine art painting.
Continuing down this career path for several years, Marc discovered the mysterious world of plein air painting. While Marc loved the comfort and convenience of his studio, along with the abundance of distracting Youtube videos that could be found there, nothing could compete with this newfound passion. Big-eared, goofy faces and demanding art directors were quickly replaced with painterly depictions of the Wisconsin landscape. Notwithstanding, the Wisconsin winters would once again drive Marc back into the studio, where he would hibernate for several months, only emerging for rations of cheese and lutefisk.
In 2018, Marc opened the M. Anderson Studio—a showroom and painting studio that would serve as his workspace as well as a home base for teaching workshops.
As Marc’s love for representational painting expanded, so too did his list of professional accomplishments. His work has been accepted into prestigious shows around the country and has garnered awards from Oil Painters of America exhibitions, national juried plein air events, and fine art shows. In 2020 he judged the nationally renowned “Richeson 75” competition held at the Richeson Gallery in Kimberly, WI.
Marc currently resides in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin with his wife Anna and studio cat, Frankie.
Selected Exhibitions and Awards
- Gold Medal Award- Oil Painters of America Easter Regional Exhibition
- Top 10 Artist to Collect Now- Plein Air Magazine- Click Here to view article.
- Artist Choice Award- Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition
- Dorothy Driehaus Mellin Fellowship- Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition
- Artist Choice Award- Paint Annapolis- Annapolis, MD
- Artist Choice Award- Lighthouse Art Center Plein Air- Tequesta, FL
- Artist Choice Honorable Mention, Sonoma Plein Air Festival, Sonoma, CA
- Top 25 Finalist, Plein Air Salon
- Best in Show, “Richeson 75 Landscape Exhibition”- Richeson Gallery, Kimberly, WI
- Best in Show, “Into Nature International Plein Air Exhibition”- White Bear Lake, MN
- 2nd Place- Lighthouse Art Center Plein Air- Tequesta, FL
- Honorable Mention, Richeson 75 Small Works Show, Richeson Gallery, Kimberly, WI
- Best of Show, “Boca Raton Arts Festival”- Boca Raton, FL
- Award of Excellence: Seascape- Oil Painters of America National Juried Show
- 1st Place, Quick Paint, Lighthouse ArtCenter Plein Air- Tequesta, FL
- Judge, “Richeson 75 Art Competition”, Richeson Gallery-Kimberly, WI
- Best of Show-Painting, “Cape Coral Art Festival”-Cape Coral, FL
- Best of Show, “Stevens Point Festival of Art”-Stevens Point, WI
- Honorable Mention, Oil Painters of America Fall Online Showcase
- 2nd Place-Painting, “Coconut Grove Art Festival”-Coconut Grove, FL
- Honorable Mention, “Lighthouse Art Center Plein Air“-Tequesta, FL
- Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition, Illume Gallery-St. George, UT
- Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Juried Exhibition, Beverly McNeil Gallery-Birmingham, AL
- Best of Show, “Paint Cedarburg” Plein Air competition- Cedarburg, WI
- Best of Show-Painting, “River Arts Festival”- Memphis, TN
- Best of Show Quick Paint, “Go Paint!” Plein Air-Janet Carson Gallery, Eau Claire, WI
- 1st Place, “Paint the Point”-Mineral Point, WI
- 1st Place, “Suncoast Artfest”-Tampa, FL
- 1st Place Industrial Scene, “Bluffstrokes Plein Air Competition”- Dubuque, IA
- 2nd Place, “Oshkosh Plein Air Festival”-Oshkosh, WI
- 2nd Place Artists’ Choice, “Paint Cedarburg”-Cedarburg, WI
- 3rd Place Main Event “Go Paint!” Plein Air
- Artists’ Choice Award, “Paint the Point” -Mineral Point, WI
- 2nd Place Quick Paint, “Go Paint!” Plein Air competition- Janet Carson Gallery, Eau Claire, WI
- 3rd Place Quick Paint, “Paint the Point” Plein Air competition- Mineral Point, WI
- 3rd Place, “Paint the Towns” Plein Air competition- Plymouth, WI
- Best of Historic Plymouth, “Paint the Towns” Plein Air competition- Plymouth, WI
- “The Meeting Place” Solo Exhibition- Volume One Gallery, Eau Claire, WI
- “The Two Andersons” Two Person Exhibition- L.E. Phillips Library Gallery, Eau Claire, WI
- 2nd Place Quick Paint, “Cedarburg Plein Air” competition- Cedarburg, WI
- 2nd Place Quick Paint, “Go Paint!” Plein Air competition- Durand, WI
- 3rd Place, “Paint the Point: Winter Edition”- Mineral Point, WI
- Honorable Mention, “Go Paint!” Plein Air competition- Durand, WI
- Honorable Mention, “Arts West” Group Exhibition- Eau Claire, WI